Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Event #2: The Getty

At The Getty, I recognized a clear relationship between mathematics and art.  This link was apparent in both the architecture of the building and the art displayed.  My visit to The Getty truly enabled me to expand on what I learned in Unit 2 this quarter.
 
First, engineering/architecture represents a major intersection between art and mathematics.  Engineers must rely on math to create functional spaces but also art to create structures that are visually appealing.  One of my favorite parts of The Getty was the buildings that the artwork, which were works of art within themselves.  The Getty Museum was designed by Richard Meier in 1984 and was ultimately opened to the public in 1997.  The multiple buildings are organized into 2 axes and utilize a combination of sharp angled edges and cylinder-shaped buildings.
 
Another great comparison between art and math in the East wing of The Getty were the Spanish tiles made of tin-glazed earthenware.  The combinations of squares and hexagons not only influence the art in a positive way, but also enable the work to be perfected with clean, symmetrical lines.  To me, this tile art heavily resembled the Robert Lang origami pieces we studied in Unit 2, based on the complexity and reliance on math.  I also enjoyed the stain glass windows in this exhibit, in which I also saw touches of math in the designs.
 

I highly recommend visiting The Getty Museum if you have not gone before! The obvious connection between mathematics and art expressed throughout the exhibit truly aided me in connecting the Unit 2 lessons to in-person applications.  Plus, both the buildings and the art itself are incredible to look at!

No comments:

Post a Comment